Amazon recently became the number two most valuable company in the world deseating long-time number two Google (Alphabet Inc.). When you look at Apple a company that makes more than ¾ of their revenue from the iPhone they have competition in Android hard manufactures like Samsung, Google, HTC and others making smartphones. The Android store competes on the same level as Apple selling apps, movies, music, books, and videos via the Google Play Store the same way Apple uses the App Store.
When you look at Amazon the number two company in the world they are not battling in the mobile space like Apple and Google. Amazon has a unique list of services they offer and have no real competition.
Amazon right now has no equal in the online space they are in online. Amazon shipped over 5 billion packages in 2017. Big box retailers like Walmart and Target are competing but not on the scale that prime is offering.
To start Amazon had over 54 million prime members in 2016 that number I am sure has gone up by now. Free shipping on physical goods is where Walmart and Target are working on competing with Amazon. Free shipping is one place where big box store can compete, but Amazon Prime is not just two-day free shipping it encompasses other services
- Prime Video Unlimited (a direct Netflix competitor)
- Prime Music – access to prime lists
- Twitch Prime members get exclusive discounts on physical games pre-orders and new releases.
- Prime Reading – you can borrow books, magazines, and more from the Prime Reading catalog
- Audible Channels for Prime
- Prime Photos – unlimited photo storage
- Amazon First Reads
- Amazon Dash for Prime (Amazon Dash Button)
- Cheaper Prices on Amazon Echo Devices
Amazon is in a great situation with no real competition in the near future. Despite the failure in the phone industry and a great success in the AI space Amazon is a great dot com with a strong future.