Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams upgrade:
We recently announced that the roadmap for bringing Skype for Business Online features and functionality into Microsoft Teams is now complete. Teams is now ready to meet your customers’ messaging, meeting, and calling needs. This is a significant milestone for Microsoft together with our partners to upgrade Skype for Business Online with Microsoft Teams as the primary communications client in Office 365. This transition represents an opportunity for you to help your customers realize the benefits of intelligent communications.
Upcoming Key Dates:
- Starting Oct. 1st, new Office 365 customers with 500 seats or less will be onboarded to Microsoft Teams and will not have access to Skype for Business Online. Tenants that are already using Skype for Business online will be able to continue doing so (including provisioning new users) until they complete their transition to Microsoft Teams.
- Microsoft has begun offering automatic upgrades from Skype for Business Online to Teams for Microsoft direct customers. Starting November 1st, we will begin offering partner associated customers automatic upgrades from Skype for Business Online to Teams. Tenant Administrators will be given advance notification via email and through the Office 365 Message Center.
- Remove references to Skype for Business Online in marketing materials for your Office 365 and Microsoft 365 offers by Oct 1st.
- Review below partner and customer materials to help defining our strategy to support and upgrade customers from Skype for Business to Teams. Select pilot customers to begin testing your upgrade process.
- Upgrade your own organization from Skype for Business to Teams and experience this exciting communication
Microsoft is really pushing teams hard and now starting to slowly cut the small businesses user off from Skype For Business. Microsoft did announce at Ignite that Teams is one of the fastest growing apps in the companies history.