Image source: TechCrunch
As one of the most prestigious, popular on-demand grocery stores, Instacart’s business model is unique. And it’s lucrative both for its full-time shoppers, shoppers only, and drivers.
The company is expanding the gig economy, providing lucrative job opportunities for freelancers and entrepreneurs who despised the 9-5 jobs in corporate America and beyond. If you’re looking to become an Instacart driver, this article provides a step-by-step guide to help you. Before then, however, let’s look at the major requirements to becoming an Instacart driver.
Instacart driver requirements
If you meet the following criteria, be sure to apply as an Instacart driver:
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and an auto insurance policy. The first requirement that you need to fulfill to become an Instacart driver is to have a valid U.S. driver’s license, plus an auto insurance policy. Instacart wants to only work with people that have their papers intact to avoid any breach of law with the local authorities.
- Be prepared to submit to a criminal background check. Are you ready and willing to provide your background check? Because Instacart will never accept your registration if you’re not prepared to submit your background check, including your criminal records. As it happens, the company wants to excel where companies like Uber have failed in the past. Most of the Uber drivers, who have been charged with criminal cases, have a history of criminal records, which the ride-hailing company failed to check from the outset. Instacart wants to make sure that all its drivers are clean from the start.
- Have a newer smartphone that’s compatible with the Instacart app. For Instacart to approve your driver application, you need to have a working smartphone for many reasons. You need it as it’s the main tool the company and customers will reach you. You a smartphone as you’re paid via your phone. If you get paid, you’ll receive notifications through the app on your phone, and withdraw your funds using the payment method of your choice.
- Be at least 18-21 years old (depending on the state you reside in). At least, before you become an Instacart driver, you need to be matured enough. In other words, you need to be at least 18-21 years old, depending on the state of your residency.
- You should be able to lift at least 30 pounds. Both shoppers and drivers must be able to lift at least 30 pounds of load before they are accepted to become shoppers and drivers. The rationale behind this s because any driver who can’t lift the loads that are within the 30 pounds weigh, can’t help put customers’ orders in their car and deliver it to them safely, making them unqualified to become drivers.
- You’re eligible to work in the U.S. This is a must needed requirement. If you are not eligible to work in the US, for example, if you don’t have a work permit, you can’t become an Insatcart driver.
Instacart driver job description
When you have been accepted to work as an Instacart driver, you will have the freedom to work based on your own terms.
For one thing, you decide when to work. As an independent contractor, no boss will force you to work at a certain stipulated hours, you are your own boss who chooses the time frame that you should work and how much you should earn. Do you want to work for only 5 hours on workdays and 10 hours on weekdays? You decide. If you’re working as a full-time shopper, tips can substantially increase your income.
There are two categories of drivers. You can become a full-time or an in-store shopper. Here are the differences between the two. Full-time shoppers are independent contractors who shop and deliver customers’ items at the same time whereas in-store shoppers are part-time contractors who only shop and bag customers’ items.
Becoming an Instacart driver
Step #1: Sign up through their website: The first step you should take when applying to become an Instacart driver is to visit the company website and sign up for them.
Step #2: Check questions about your car and smartphone: After you have successfully signed up, you can then sign in, and check some questions about your car and smartphone. And then move on to the next step.
Step #3: Choose whether you want to be a full-service shopper or an in-store shopper. The next thing you should do is to decide whether you want to become a full-time shopper or an in-store shopper. Once you settle on one, you can now move on to the next step.
Step #4: Provide proof of your driver’s license: This is where you’ll provide proof of your driver’s license. Once you have it, you can scan it and upload it to the Instacart system via their email to verify. If everything is good, then you’re on your way to the last step of your registration process to becoming an Instacart driver.
Step #5: Register your payment method: You can only reach this stage if you have successfully passed all the four stages outlined above. The only thing that you’ll do here is to register your payment method, which you’ll be using to withdraw your payments on the Instacart system.
Becoming an Instacart driver is not difficult. You don’t have to obtain an advanced driving certificate or undergo a certain level of education or experience, although if you have some driving experience, that will increase your chances of being accepted. Overall, all you need to become an Instacart driver is to meet the necessary requirements as stated by the company and follow the steps mentioned above. You’ve got the information, all you need is to take some action and be the Instacart driver shopper your family will be proud of.