A Bug Out Bag (also called a Go Kit) is usually designed to get you out of an emergency situation and allow you to survive self-contained for up to 3 days. Build one today!
A lot of people plan their Bug Out Bag to sustain them for much longer than that, but there is always a limit to what you can carry on your back and a 3 day target is a good place to start. The suggested contents of a bug-out bag vary, but most of the following are usually included:
Here is a simple checklist for your bag. This is not set in stone, everyone has difference skills and needs this is just to give you an idea. The following list is not in any particular order.
- Bag (Backpack or sack of some kind)
- Flash Light (Extra batteries)
- Water Purification (Tablets or Bottle with Filter)
- Fire Starter (Matches, Lighter, Sparker)
- Multi Tool (Pocketknife, Leatherman)
- First Aid Kit
- Food (MRE, or freeze dried food)
- Radio (Ham Radio, Scanner)
- Para cord or rope
- Extra change of clothes (include socks and underwear)
- Money (cash in small bills $100-$300)
- Map of Area / GPS / Compass
- Hygiene necessities (comb, toothbrush, small can of shaving cream, razor, toothpaste)
- Hand Sanitizer
- A copy of emergency and important contacts
- Medications (week’s worth if you take any)
- Tape (Duct Tape/Gorilla Tape)
- Emergency Tent
- Rain Gear
If you have any questions about a Bug Out Bag please feel free to contact me.